For as long as we can remember, Walkersons Hotel & Spa has been famous for its scones. Freshly-baked each day, these sweet delights are mouth-wateringly light and fluffy, with a delicate crispy edge – and an absolute must-try when visiting Dullstroom.
If you’ve been lucky enough to sample these bites of goodness, and simply can’t stop thinking about them, then you’re in for a treat. The culinary team at Walkersons, led by Chaine chef Adri van Wieringin, have put together a remarkably easy recipe for you try out at home.
– 1 kg Self-Raising flour
– 1 cup – 250ml white sugar
– 1 cup – 250ml plain Greek yoghurt
– 4 eggs
– 2 tsp of vanilla essence or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– 1250g pure butter – room temperature
1) Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and Greek yoghurt well together
2) Add 30ml of fresh milk.
3) Add the self-raising flour and bind together with your hands. Do not over-work the dough.
4) Flatten the dough, roughly 2.5cm thick, and cut into rounds or squares.
5) Bake in a preheated oven at 170’C till golden brown.
6) Served with cream and homemade strawberry jam.
If you’re not the baking type, not to worry, both restaurants at Walkersons Hotel & Spa are open to guests and visitors alike. Enjoy morning or afternoon tea and their iconic scones on the recently refurbished Terrace, whilst overlooking a small, tranquil dam.
To find out more about dining at Walkersons, or to book your stay at this luxury Dullstroom hotel, simply email email@example.com, or phone +27 (13) 253 7000.