A South Africa winter wedding allows for luxurious textures, rich colours and an element of fairytale winter wonder. South Africa is a big country and depending on whether you choose the West or the East Coast, there can be significant temperature differences that can set the tone for your big day. Winter in South Africa generally falls between May and August and although the Western Cape is usually wet and chilly, the rest of the country experiences mostly sunny, rain-free days. Take a look at our top locations for a romantic winter wedding in South Africa.
Dullstoom is at its most beautiful in winter. Located just 2 hours from Johannesburg, it combines rolling green hills, frosty lakes and cosy fire-warmed wedding venues with oodles of charm. If your idea of the perfect winter wedding is an intimate country affair, our venue at Walkersons Hotel & Spa might just be perfect for you.
Few occasions rival the romance of a country wedding in Dullstroom, and we revel in the opportunity to match your highest expectations. The stunning surrounds create superb photographic backdrops allowing you to capture life long memories. The hotel has its own chapel and, in close proximity, the Walker Room is transformed into a sophisticated reception. We also have a luxurious Honeymoon Suite so you’re special day can end on the perfect note.
KwaZulu Natal Midlands
Littered with small, historic towns like Howick and Hilton that make up the Midlands Meander, the KwaZulu Natal Midlands is scattered with stunning wedding venues, ranging from scenic country locations to lodges and farm venues. The East Coast of South Africa also has fantastic winter weather, with warm sunny days and virtually no wind – perfect for a winter wedding in South Africa. The Midlands are roughly 90 minutes away from Durban and over 4 hours from Johannesburg making it a popular destinations for weekend-long celebrations.
Although the Western Cape province of South Africa gets most of its rain during winter, the cloudy weather is interspersed with beautiful winter days which rival the best of the British summer. Franschhoek is a particularly beautiful winter wedding destination, thanks to its verdant vineyards, picturesque mountain scenery and a host of rustic and luxurious winter wedding venues to choose from. Franschhoek is only an hour from Cape Town, making it a convenient travel destination for your guests. There is also varied accommodation options depending on your guests’ different tastes and budgets.
The pros of having a South Africa Winter Wedding:
- South Africa’s main wedding season is from September to April, so you will be having your wedding off-peak season. Generally, this is less expensive.
- Travelling in off-peak times is usually less expensive for your guests.
- If you are coming to South Africa for a safari experience, winter is the best time of year for game viewing and there is little chance of rain (outside of the Western Cape).
- If you plan on being near the ocean, southern right whales can be seen along the coast as well as breaching great white sharks off the coast of Cape Town.
The cons of having a South Africa Winter Wedding:
- The Cape Winelands are generally very cold and wet.
- It does get darker in the winter months, so you will have less time for photographs after the ceremony.
For more information regarding our Dullstroom wedding venue, please don’t hesitate to contact us at +27 (13) 253 7000 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to helping bringing your dream wedding day to life,